How To Transfer Electric Bill To New Owner

In the Tri-State region, moving into a new apartment or house can be difficult. There are many things to consider, including packing up your belongings, selecting the best movers, and bidding farewell. One thing you must do to ensure your move goes more smoothly is to take care of the utilities beforehand. We’ve put together a thorough guide to help you set up your utilities in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut quickly and with the least amount of hassle possible.

Contact your utility provider and request a bill transfer.

If necessary, acquire your utility provider’s contact information from your landlord or whoever paid the bill previously. Then, call the company or visit 1 of their local offices to request a bill transfer.

Moving Your Current Plan to a New Address

  • Question How do I avoid electricity disconnect when I cannot afford the bill? Donagan Top Answerer Immediately talk with a representative of the electric company to let them know theres a problem. They probably have (or know of) a program designed to help people afford their utility payments.
  • Question Who is responsible for transferring an electricity bill, landlord or tenant? Who has to pay for it? Donagan Top Answerer In most cases if the account is or will be in your name, you are responsible for making the change and for paying the bill. Check with your landlord to make sure.
  • Question My ex left the house and they cut the electricity, but the bill is in my name. What l can do to have my electricity back? Community Answer Contact your electric company (in person may be best, so that you can present ID) and tell them that the electricity was cut without your authorization. Speak to a manager if necessary; if it was done without your approval, there should be no charges involved. If your exs name wasnt on the account, you could also contact your local police department and press charges for fraud, as he misrepresented himself to the electric company to cause you damage (being without the necessity of electricity).
  • Ask a Question 200 characters left Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.

    Co-authored by:

    Share this:

    how to transfer electric bill to new owner

    While transferring utilities is undoubtedly one of the least enjoyable tasks, it is unquestionably one of the most crucial. Who wants to spend the first night (or first week) in their new home without hot water, electricity, or internet, after all? Not us. Due to these factors, you must make contact with your utility service providers before the move to arrange a date for the transfer or installation of your services. Before you start packing boxes, take a look at these 10 straightforward suggestions for transferring your utilities when moving if you’re not sure where to start.

  • Get organized

    First thing’s first: before you move, familiarize yourself with all of your current utility service providers. Utilities usually include cable and internet, water and sewer, gas, electricity, satellite, security system, trash and phone. We recommend noting these monthly service providers by writing their phone numbers and contact information on one general list. If you’re planning on changing providers when you move, be sure to write down any new contact information.

  • Research new utility service providers

    Moving to a new city or area of the country often requires using a different utility company altogether. Before you move, research the utility service providers in your area to assess options. In many cases, you may not have an option – as there’s only one utility service provider for certain utilities in many cities. We recommend checking with your local government and city websites as well as asking Realtors and local experts for utility provider recommendations. If you’re moving within the same city or state, you’ll likely be able to use the same providers as before.

  • Notify utilities of your move a few weeks in advance

    Once you’ve organized all of your utility information, you’ll need to start contacting each provider separately to let them know you’re moving. We recommend contacting most providers at least two to three weeks in advance. For utility services that require an installation appointment, it’s a good idea to call a month in advance. These usually include cable and internet services as well as security system providers, such as ADT. When scheduling your disconnect and reconnect dates for gas and electric, consider making the disconnect date a day after moving or (if selling the home) on closing day. This way the lights and HVAC will still be working, just in case you need to return to the home to pick up anything left behind. If you live near your new home, consider scheduling your gas and electric connection for the day before your move. This way, you can go ahead and turn on the AC or heat, if moving in extreme weather.

  • Arrange your water and sewer service through the city

    When it comes to water and sewer services, these will most likely be handled through your new city or town. Arrange for the service to begin on closing day (or moving day, if renting) by contacting your city’s public utilities office a few weeks beforehand. If moving to a new city with a new water/sewer service, ask your real estate agent and the home’s former owners for a rough estimate of the costs. Water bills vary by city and location, so for budget purposes, don’t assume that water and sewage will cost the same as it did in your former house.

  • Check if the HOA covers utilities

    Moving to a community with an HOA (homeowners’ association)? If so, your HOA fees may cover basic utilities, including water and sewer, gas and trash pickup. Paying one monthly bill to the HOA instead of five separate bills to various utility companies will certainly make paying monthly bills an easier and more seamless process.

  • Update your address

    When calling the utility service providers, be sure to provide them with your new address. This way, you’ll be sure to receive any and all future bills. Of course, it’s also a good idea to change your mailing address with USPS. By going to, you can easily select the date that you wish to begin forwarding your mail. Here’s your change of address checklist.

  • Pay overdue bills before moving

    Whatever you do, don’t forget to pay any overdue bills before moving. When calling the utility service providers, simply ask whether or not you currently owe anything. If so, be sure to pay off these outstanding balances before closing day and/or moving, as these could potentially hurt your credit score and prevent the sale of your home. Paying off balances also means a clean slate and a fresh start in your new home.

  • Do a final meter reading

    Before moving, have your utility service providers come to your house and conduct a final reading of the gas, electric and water meters. Just in case you receive any unexpected bills after moving, keep a copy of the meter reading reports for your records.

  • Double-check that all utility services are ready to go

    It doesn’t hurt to double-check that all of your stop/start dates are ready to go. Before moving to your new home, we recommend calling your existing and new utility service providers to confirm stop/start dates. This way, you don’t move into a dark, cold house that isn’t ready for residents. And you won’t be paying for utilities in your old home once you move out. When confirming stop/start dates, double-check that all of your contact and billing information is correct as well.

  • Conduct a home energy audit of your new home

    Finally, once you’ve moved into your new home, I recommend scheduling for a technician to come and perform a home energy audit. This audit will let you know if you need to improve the insulation, ductwork or furnace in your new house. Essentially, it informs a homeowner how and where the air is leaking into the house. Nationwide Insurance suggests sealing air leaks by either placing a sweep at the base of outside doors or by applying caulk around the drafty windows.

  • Step 1: Find the Right Utility

    You already know the name of your utility company if you only need to change your legal name. However, if you are moving into a new home or apartment, you can get that information by asking the previous owners, your realtor, the landlord, or a neighbor.

    Many utility companies now allow you to make name changes or switch service into your name via an online form on its website. For example, if you currently are or will be a Duke Energy customer, you can use its online Start, Stop and Move feature to change the bill into your name. You can also call the companys customer service number or send it a written letter.

    How To Change Name In Electricity Bill Online – Bijli Bill Me Name Sudhar Kaise Karwaye Online


    How do you transfer power from one house to another?

    Call utility companies to schedule your shut-off and make appointments if they don’t offer online transfers. You must begin notifying each provider that you will be moving to a new location individually. It’s best to speak with each provider at least two to three weeks beforehand.

    How do I transfer my PG&E to another person?

    Call customer service at 1-800-743-5000 to add or remove someone from your account. You have two options if a new resident moves in: 1) permit them to access the account only to receive information, or 2) permit them to access the account and be financially responsible.

    Can utilities be shut off in NY?

    Most of the time, your utility provider cannot demand full payment in order to keep your services operational or to turn on your gas, electric, water, or telephone service. Under a “deferred payment agreement,” you might be able to settle an old bill and keep using the service or get new service at the same time.

    How do I set up utilities in NYC?

    From the following area codes: 212, 718, 347, 516, 631, 646, 845, 914, and 929, dial 877-337-2017 toll-free. From other area codes, dial 718-393-4999. Deaf/hard-of-hearing customers can use their preferred relay service or the free 711 service relay.


    Leave a Comment